Klook.com

09 February, 2012

What's Best in Chinese New Year?

So finally here comes to the end of celebrating Chinese New Year as I can see my Facebook wall starts to get flooded with posts about Valentine's Day. Have you ever asked yourself, how well have you gone through Chinese New Year this year? 

Are you really celebrating the Chinese New Year in a Chinese way?

#1 Did you have your Lou Sang? 

The prosperity toss, I realise, is more expensive this year. A small portion of basic salmon yee sang is already RM48 now, compared to its price at RM38 last year. But no matter how the price hikes, it never goes out of demand because of the meanings behind it. So far, I have 10 rounds of Prosperity Toss this year. Good things are expected to be more :P How about you? 

 #2 Did you visit at least a temple?

I really hope that the Year of Water Dragon would be good for me because I have been a good girl and really hardworking to visit the old temples. Without realizing, I actually spent 3 separate days in the CNY month to visit temples, hoping that God would listen to my prayers. 

#3 Did you receive an ang pow or give out any? 

When it comes to ang pow, I'd wish I can be a kid forever so that I can receive countless ang pows from every single person I know on earth. Besides, I have a weird hobby during New Year that is collecting CUTE angpow PACKETS! I bet you wouldn't know that the above picture is 2 different ang pow packets if I didn't state here.

#4 Have you prayed for more fortune?

Every year, the elder ones would say the same old phrase, "Huat Ah!". Of course, every one of us never fails to think how to earn more money this year, save more money, spend less money....and it's all about MONEY! I hope this piece of Fortune Cookie helps to bring more wealth too.


#5 Did you stay at home, preparing tonnes of food for your guests?

From left: Almond cookies, chilli tidbits, almond biscotti, seaweed cookies, love letter (Kuih Kapit), peanut cookies, crispy arrowhead chips, fried crab sticks and lastly the chocolate cornflakes cups. 

Here are all the 9 foodstuff to welcome the guests to my house, not inclusive of the famous Prawn Crackers and Chinese Dried Meats. 5 out of 9 are homemade, by the way :) 

 #6 Did you visit your relatives' and friends' houses and enjoy their offerings?

During the festive seasons, do you go around for house visitations or do you visit shopping malls more than houses? There, I spot this cute Snoopy cookie from my uncle's house, while spending a good relaxing day at his house for a small gathering. 

 #7 Did you do your gift exchange during house visits? 

Wherever we go during CNY, we'd surely bring along some Mandarin Oranges as small gifts to our friends or relatives. But for the first time, I receive 33 pieces of fresh, homemade Kuih Bahulu all the way from Malacca :)

#8 Did you give or receive any Chinese New Year card by snail mail? 

No, I'm not talking about e-cards, SMSes, Facebook wall posts or tweets. From this picture, I've received a cute greeting card from my old friend, dated 16 January but it reached my mailbox on 29 January. With a 50 cent stamp, I think I shouldn't expect a faster delivery anyway. Thank you very much to this all-time best friend because people don't send out cards via post delivery anymore but she does :)

Conclusion:
Out of the 8 questions, how many "Yes" have you answered? Now, revise the answers and share with me whether Chinese New Year brings a significant meaning to you personally :) 

Disclaimer: Pictures taken using Samsung Galaxy S Plus.

30 comments:

  1. wah your kuih bahulu can shine one hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, i think i only fulfilled a few of the obligations. but here's wishing you a great year of the dragon ahead! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did all you mentioned! Yahoo :D

    But time flies... CNY is over and everything is back to normal now T.T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I done everything you mentioned...haha!!!

    mush4crazy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, me too. YES YES YES.... now everything is back to normal mood, Valentine's Day is coming...

    ReplyDelete
  6. errr, nothing special to me CNY is still celebrated in normal ways as i've been celebrating for the past 30+ years!! haha.. maybe the only difference is that i went to genting for doraemon world on the 10th day of CNY, haha!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. i had a very enjoyable CNY...
    from d eve until d 15th...
    Yesterday i had a chat with my wife n she feel d same..
    this year we spent more time with our family n friends .. nothing can beat that..
    besides that I gained 8kg..... LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't really enjoyed my CNY cause I only went back for 2 days due to my ongoing clinical placement ):

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right Yee Sang is getting more expensive nowadays. Its kinda ridiculous..but i guess nobody cares becoz is a once a year event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course, must get red packet la..

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, fortune cookies!!! may it brings good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its great to hear that you did some praying because I believe looking at god is so important in our lives. I did have my fair share of CNY, esp the yee sang, gathering and plenty of food including so much of cookies being munched.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love cookies especially almond cookies!hehe
    hurm, nowadays people didn't send greeting card anymore, quite frustrating. miss the old days when we receive greeting card, i even hang them when i was small. don't think we can hang the laptop to show the e-greeting card to guest.haha.
    oh when i was small, i got angpow too from my father's friends. isn't you got angpow until you get married? i my friends told me, you will still get angpow even you are 40 if you are still single. hehe so don't get married, you will always get angpow.
    yeah, if you didn't mention there were 2 angpow in that picture, i wouldn't know that. hehe. cute angpow, i love red without picture, the old style angpow packet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes to most...but didn't go to the temple. How come no firecrackers and fireworks? Not like Chinese New Year like that lor...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dropping you a note to say thanks for stopping by at my blog. I love those cny cookies - munching them in front of TV. haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fish, my answer is Yes to all. February is actually my birthday month, but I don't expect any thing special, as long as I can spend with my loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 5 of out 8.... does this mean I'm missing something here?
    Nevertheless I enjoy CNY, like I always do :D - long holidays and gathering with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for popping over to my blog. I miss eating kueh bahulu. This is one of the simplest kueh that I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zomg! The cookies in #6!! So cute can! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you have had a great CNY..and that ang pow packets looks nice.

    Did you make any of those cookies? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. 10 rounds of YuSheng?? Gosh, that's a lot of fun! Hahaha! I did my CNY Lo Hei: Auspicious Salmon Yu Sheng at home & my guests were all impressed. I'm really happy & it was worth the effort.

    Hey, love those doggy cookies! They're soooooo cute! I want, I want!! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I bought TOTO during CNY....but didn't kena...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The angpow so cute one ! and omg are those snoopy cookies ? SO CUTEEEE

    ReplyDelete

Comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...