Klook.com

29 April, 2012

Ikuzo Ramen @ SS2, Petaling Jaya

#1 Rye-Flour Ramen

Look at the above picture, can you see the 'dots' on the noodles? Interestingly, I do not see this anywhere else, and this is one of the reasons why I drop by at Ikuzo Ramen @ SS2 to try out their noodles made from complex carbs. 



#2 Wooden but inviting concept 

The concept of Ikuzo Ramen is different from the usual Japanese restaurant, because they use art and typography for decorating the outlet. Each poster on the wall has a price tag, so you can have them home if you want.

#3 Condiments for the Soup

For better flavours and aroma,
  • Add pepper or vinegar for shoyu-based soup
  • Add shicimi powder into miso-based soup
  • Add chilli oil for seafood ramen 
#4 Left: Age Gyoza (Deep-Fried Japanese Potstickers) @ RM3.50
Right: Gyoza (5 Pieces of Japanese Potstickers) @ RM3.50

Both are Japanese Chinese dumplings, but the one on the left is deep-fried instead of being pan-fried in the usual way. To my delight, the deep-fried gyoza is crispier with chewier skin. And you can never find gyoza at such affordable price elsewhere!

#5 Left: Yakiniku (Grilled Beef) @ RM3.00
Right: Cha-Shu (5 Pieces of Braised Pork) @ RM3.50

#6 Left: Menma (Bamboo Shoot) @ RM1.80
Right: Cabbage Kimuchi (Preserved Cabbage) @ RM2.50

I'm not a kimchi person, but the cabbage kimuchi here is definitely a good one for me to munch on. Its taste is not as pungent as the Korean kimchi. Light enough for a balanced taste of sour and sweetness. 

#7 Chef Shimbo Katsunori explaining about "Rye Noodles"

As for the ramen here, the price tags stun me because the most expensive bowl only costs me RM10.90, which I can never find such a good bargain in any Japanese restaurants or noodle shops.


#8 Four Types of Noodles

You can choose your own favourite when it comes to the ramen noodle. All of them are made from nutritious rye flour, and the most interesting fact is that the noodle can be spicy by itself, not depending on its soup base!

#9 Goma Tamago Ramen @ RM8.90

I personally feel that this is the best noodle here. It comes in black sesame soup base, accompanied with eggs, pork cha-shu slices and spring onions. Despite of the dark color, it is not as salty as you'd expect and the thick soup is awesome while served hot.

#10 Goma Tan Tan Ramen @ RM7.50

This is also of black sesame soup base, but with added ma la (麻辣) spices which turns this minced chicken ramen bowl into a sweet and spicy one. Despite of the fiery red presentation, it is more of sweetness than spiciness. 

#11 Cha-Shu Ramen @ RM8.90

The signature shoyu-based (Soy Sauce) soup complements with the pork slices, seaweed and spring onions. But the portion is way too large for a typical female! I can only finish half a bowl, at most.

#12 Yakiniku Ramen @ RM8.50

#13 Curry Ramen @ RM7.90

For the spicy flavour, the chef adds some homemade paste into the soup base to bring out the tantalizing tastes. Served with breaded pork fillet, egg and vegetables.

#14 Ebi Tempura Ramen @ RM8.90

#15 Seafood Ramen @ RM10.90

#16 Tom Yam Ramen @ RM10.90

Ikuzo also turns the famous Thai soup into a Thai ramen dish, with equally fresh seafood ingredients but the tom yam soup is less strong in taste.

#17 Tsukemen @ RM8.50

You may want to try the dried version (干捞) in which the noodles and condiments are served separately from the soup. Recommended to dip the items into the soup before eating.

#18 Left: Green Tea Milk with Yuzu Ice-Cream Float @ RM5.90 
Middle: Ginger Green Tea with Yuzu Ice-Cream Float @ RM5.90
Right: Green Tea Milk @ RM4.90

The beverages here are priced very fairly, ranging from RM0.50 to RM5.90. Other than the original Japanese green tea, Ikuzo has some innovations here, under their "Ikuzo Special" category. I love the twist in the taste of green tea, especially the ginger green tea


#19 Left: Root Beer with Rice Ice-Cream Float @ RM5.90 
Middle: Passion Fruit Italian Soda @ RM4.90
Right: Chocolate Milk with Rice Ice-Cream Float @ RM5.90


Ramen for the people. Let the ramen revolution begin!

Verdict:
1. The spicy, thick but flat noodle is a better choice because it doesn't expand much in the soup.
2. One of the most wallet-friendly ramen outlets I bet--- Tastier for better value!
3. Revisit? Yes, for their special Black Sesame soup-based ramen.

Ikuzo Ramen
52, Jalan SS2/61,
47300 Petaling Jaya,
Selangor.
Contact: 603-7865 3254
Facebook: www.fb.com/IkuzoRamen
Email: hello@ikuzoramen.com
Business Hours: 10.30am to 11.00pm

85 comments:

  1. OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG........i wan those home-made ramen LAAAAAAA (i'm a big ramen fan :'()

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken, I bet you'd want to try out more varieties of Ramen right?

      Delete
  2. home made noodles..
    looks good .. n the chef looks kinda surprise when you snap his pic..
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Onn Gui, the chef is actually explaining stuff to me while I take a shot of him

      Delete
  3. wow, that's A LOT of ramen! enough for 10 people to share!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sean, exactly :) We have 10 people dining together.

      Delete
  4. The best type of food for me is all those with extra spicy taste thus, I am drooling on the similar ones you have shared. Seems like SS2 has become a food haven now compared to the many years I used to stay in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nava, SS2 is growing with more and more restaurants around :) I love the spicy versions as well.

      Delete
  5. The interior looks very unique! Your photography ichiban! The food looks great with reasonable price, shld really giv a visit one of this day!

    p/s: Thanks for stopping by My Little Sprouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alice, thanks for your compliment! :) I hope you enjoy the food here.

      Delete
  6. Whoa, they even have tomyam ramen :O I don't really like the taste of sesame so I don't think I'll try those with black sesame soup.. but the ultimate seafood looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilda, they have many varieties which I think at least one of them would be your fave :D

      Delete
  7. wow, home made?! not factory made (thumbs up)

    ReplyDelete
  8. char siew and ramen.. my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer, that's so oriental right? :)

      Delete
  9. The noodles look amazing! Everything looks amazing. I can see why you'd give it a thumbs up. I'd love the gyoza both ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol, the gyoza is good :) with not so thick skin.

      Delete
  10. Ramen! I've tried Bamboo Shoots before and they are nice^^, BTW, no more tagboard anymore? Anyways, replied 2 ur comnt n my post^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, I don't put tagboards anymore, just the commenting area would be good I guess :) thanks for your revisit!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi there, the roll is more than delicious, it's healthy too :)

      Delete
  12. This place looks so exoticly oriental - I feel like devouring the post to be honest :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Uru, then you must check out this place :)

      Delete
  13. i really really want to try out this place~!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never mind, I think I'll just stick to me good ol' kampua or kolo mee. Don't see any that turns me on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arthur, Malaysian food is still the best eh? :) So patriotic.

      Delete
  15. P.S. Bamboo shoots give me gout attacks...no, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...what a great post with gorgeous photos! I don't know which one I would pick since all the dishes look so yummy! Thanks for making my mouth water!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I bet they're all so good! And healthy!

      Delete
  17. waaa home made ramen :D sifuuu~made me some XD i really like the design of "the ramen revolution" hahahah =v= b best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rascat, you can always drop by at their store, and the sifu will make all you want :P

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. hi Charmaine, yes indeed, time to localise :)

      Delete
  19. All of them looks good to me! Price is quite reasonable as well~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayley, try it out yourself and you'll know ;)

      Delete
  20. Ramen at a very reasonable price!! Okay...I'm getting hungry looking at the beautiful broth of each bowl of ramen ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, check it out and you wouldn't regret!

      Delete
  21. Healthy noodles yay!. I'm also a sucker for gyoza. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monica, gyoza is not so healthy but I love it!

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. Hi Kelvin, sure and do share your opinion too :)

      Delete
  23. the ramen looks so delicious weyy! :P

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ramen my favourite.... this handmade ramen look awesome. thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky, you should go around checking out the goodness of many ramen out there!

      Delete
  25. wow, very nice food!! and i just love those ramen, so nicely done!! :)

    Latest: Post-Bersih 3.0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SK, they're acceptable, hope you love them too!

      Delete
  26. Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, it's a 10 person sharing meal :)

      Delete
  27. Wow so cheap! would probably go if i'm around that area Bersih 3.0 aftermath

    ReplyDelete
  28. Shocking prices for me too! Wish I could have a bowl.... Just back from shopping trip in Korea. Thks for visiting during my absence! Lots of blog hopping to catch up :) Have a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley, that's certainly a good deal!

      Delete
  29. heading in tomo to check them out:D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have yet to try them but this is by far the cheapest ramen I've ever seen. And they do serve different types too! Can't wait to try the thick ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chong, the spicy noodle is unique and good too, try em out :)

      Delete
  31. Replies
    1. Hi Juju, yes it has opened not long ago :) enjoy!

      Delete
  32. Oooo..I prefer ramen over udon. One that catches my heart is the dry ramen. Bet u had a fabulous time here enjoying the ramen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yee Ling, the dried version is not so recommended based on my personal opinion, but I hope you can try and let me know what do you think :)

      Delete
  33. Wow! That is so much food. I love Japanese noodle dishes but I'm sure I haven't tried rye noodles. And those prices do seem very reasonable xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, it's time to try out the rye noodle and notice the differences :)

      Delete
  34. those ramen must be very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Replies
    1. Hi Farah, yes but too bad it's non Halal :(

      Delete
  36. I really enjoy looking at Japanese food oversea. It has more varieties and they are very creative. I like that. The food needs to adjust to liking for the locals and this Japanese chef did a pretty good job. The rye-flour ramen is very interesting too! It's cold today and I feel like eating ramen! It was a fun and delicious post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nami, thanks for your compliment but im wondering if your country has rye-based ramen as well?

      Delete
  37. oooo i really like this post! I never had an idea of what to eat at ss2 altho there's alot of variety, but all are just 'so-so'. Shall go try it one day! thanks for the info!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessy, no problem, I hope this info helps you too!

      Delete
  38. Rye flour, it sure is healthy and the fact that the person behind the restaurant is a Japanese makes it even better. =) Are there any (popular) landmarks there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlotte, it's directly opposite the SS2 Wai Sek Gai (Food Street). Too many shoplots blooming there too.

      Delete
  39. Erm, this shop is in which part of ss2? near where? any landmark that I can easily direct me there? Latest update in my blog, do check here ^_^
    bit.ly/R6bw9w

    ReplyDelete
  40. Not bad,will try it out very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Remarkable things here. I am very satisfied to see your post.
    Thank you a lot and I am having a look forward to contact
    you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

    Feel free to surf to my website whole bean coffee

    ReplyDelete

Comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...