Klook.com

04 July, 2012

De Hunan Restaurant (湖南湘菜馆) @ Bandar Puteri, Puchong

Hunan Cuisine is no longer a new thing for me, but this outlet of De Hunan Restaurant is something fresh among the neighbourhood around Bandar Puteri Puchong. 

First opened its door in Kuchai Lama, now De Hunan has its second outlet shifted from Sunway Mentari to Bandar Puteri. Here it is a double-storey lot, fully air-conditioned with hanging chillies as the drapes. 

Upon stepping into the restaurant, I saw much family crowd dining there during a weekday evening. The brightly lit setting, when complemented with the cheerful orange painted walls, gives me a very warm, homey feel.

The interior has a traditional yet contemporary setting. Exclusively imported from China, the marble tables display different Chinese paintings which allows more comfort for the patrons. 


For large group dining, the private rooms are ready to cater for your needs. The whole restaurant has a total capacity of 200 pax! That shouldn't be a problem if you want to held meetings, gatherings, and celebrations there. 

#1 Menu 

This is a real rustic Hunan cooking, where the chefs from Xiamen, China use chillies in all their untempered glory. However, it is always adjustable to cater your needs. According to the chef, the level of spiciness people can normally take is Extra Mild (少), Mild (微), and Normal (辣).

#2 Cold Appetizers

We begin with a medley of appetizers. I am very taken with the chilled chopped cucumber served with   blended chilli juice and garnished with aromatic parsley which keeps me reaching for more despite of its sharp spiciness. 


#3 Steamed White Rice

What not to be missed is definitely a bowl of rice to go with all the spicy and heavy-in-taste dishes. This is surely unique as the chefs steam it bowl by bowl, separately so that the rice is soft enough yet retaining its moisture. Great effort!

#4 Baked Pumpkin with Salted Egg Yolk (咸蛋黄焗南瓜)

Our first few dishes are filled with assorted healthy vegetables. The soft pumpkin slices' consistency is just right, with a light coating of rich salted egg yolk. It is quite addictive with the right amount of heat and salty sweetness.

#5 Stir Fried Beijing Cabbage (平锅北京包菜)

#6 Stewed Beancurd with Green Chives (韭菜焖豆腐)

Next, the chefs are kind enough to make this soothing broth ready before we hop into the next level of spicy food. The light broth of tofu and chives is an excellent blend of fresh ingredients, creating each perfect bowlful of steaming goodness! 

#7 Hunan "Yin Yang" Style Fish Head (招牌鸳鸯鱼头)

Here comes the very much anticipated dish, the fresh catch of the day! The "Yin" and "Yang" Hunan style fish head is drenched in the chilli oil bath, topped with sour yellow ginger and vegetables on one side, and spicy hot chopped chillies on another side. Resulting in a tangy, spicy, savoury taste, nevertheless the freshness of the fish is simply overwhelming.

Cautious: This fish contains a lot of bones. Be careful while enjoying the flesh.

Served along with a bowlful of handmade noodles, I feel as if I am having a mild version of Szechuan ramen. 

#8 Sauteed Prawns in Hunan Claypot Style (干锅馋嘴虾)

The presentation is impressive! The generous prawns are tender in a mildly spicy lemongrass and dried chilli-infused gravy. They go perfectly with the warm and fluffy white rice garnished with green chives.


#9 Spicy Skewered Prawns in Hunan Special Style (道地湖南串烧虾)

Much as I enjoy the sweet, sauteed prawns, my favourite of the evening has to go this skewered prawn. It is deep-fried in chilli oil, but surprisingly not oily at all. In fact, the crust turns out so crispy while the prawns remain moist and succulent inside.


#10 "Uncle Mao's" Special Braised Pork (毛家红烧肉)

The elegantly plated dish tastes as good as it looks. I poke a form through the meat, and it unravels almost instantly to reveal tender juicy goodness. I enjoy the good ratio of greasy fat and lean meat as it is moistened with salty dark sauce with hints of sweetness.


#11 Hot Spicy Fresh Frog on Sizzling Stone Hunan Style (石锅生猛鲜田鸡)

In my personal taste, the definition of 'meat' only includes fish, poultry and pork, and I shiver when imagining myself cutting through the slimy frog skin. I guess I'd just have to pass this. 

#12 Stir Fried Cubed Beef on Flat Pot (平锅牛仔粒)

#13 Fried Spicy Deer Meat in Special Hot Stones Style (特色石头烹鹿肉)

For more exotic meats, De Hunan serves deer meat in their special hot stones which keep the meat warm throughout the course of the meal. However, my dining companion mentions that the meat is quite tough, and a salty sweet sauce could have livened it up.

#14 Pork Spare Ribs and Corn Soup (玉米炖排骨瓦罐炜烫)

After so much of heaty foodstuff, the chefs create a very porky broth of light soup to soothe our throats. The essence of the broth is so rich, with the right amount of lean ribs and sweet corns, what a hearty broth to go! 

#15 Homemade Potato Pancake (香甜士豆饼)

For dessert, we have the potato pancake which appears rather savory than sweet, perhaps because of the thickened starchy texture which some may enjoy but not all. However, a dip into the chilled condensed milk is so heavenly, perfectly complementing the hot crispy potato slices!


#16 Pumpkin and Sago Dessert Soup (黄金珍珠露)

Well, it tastes very similar to the Taro Coconut Milk with Tapioca (西米露), but definitely less sweet, and not so thick. Certainly a healthier treat for those with a sweet tooth. 

Overall, I have a highly enjoyable experience! 

Verdict:
1. The chefs did a good job in maintaining excellent quality of the seasonal ingredients. In terms of taste, the overall spiciness is toned down to suit our taste, and very favorable for me too.
2. Recommended: Spicy Skewered Prawns in Hunan Special Style, Pork Spare Ribs and Corn Soup and Stir Fried Cubed Beef on Flat Pot 
3. Pricewise, it wouldn't burn your pocket once in a while but it is recommended for group dining to share the huge portion of dishes and of course the bill as well.

De Hunan Restaurant (湖南湘菜馆)
42, Jalan Puteri 2/4, 
Bandar Puteri,
47100 Puchong, Selangor. 
Contact: 012-6345218 and 012-2828048
Website: www.dehunan.com
Facebook: fb.com/Dehunan
Operating Hours: 11am to 11pm

42 comments:

  1. I saw this shop in kuchai, and very tempted to try.. maybe one day I should bring my family there..

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I heard Hunan my head will b itchy..
    Coz most of the food are spicy.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, nice food nice food! but the location is a bit far from my place =X

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...i see alot of spicy food here. Are they really very spicy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmmm!!!! Puchong! Lots of good food there. Maybe next time I go over, I stay in Puchong... Can skip KL....

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the simple cabbage, corn soup, spicky skewered prawns and deer meat!! super yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi there.. thank you for dropping by at my blog... I'm now following your blog so I can be here more often

    wow.. there are pretty tempting huh...especially the home made potato

    ReplyDelete
  8. the frog dish is quite interestin to me
    thanks agaain and happy blogging to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. arghhh.....now i am craving for all these hot and spicy stuff, i don't think i can live without chilies =/

    ReplyDelete
  10. special braised pork looks good! yummeh! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pumpkin sago dessert look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i likey likey this hunan dishes :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh the place looks so cozy and I love the look of the food they are serving except the frog... idk if i can eat the frog :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Hunan cuisine really hot and spicy wor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The table tops look very pretty - something to gaze at while you're waiting for your meal.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot and spicy foods! I love the most. Ok! I am really hungry now looking at your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ermmm..all the food look so spicy lor....

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're surely one good food reviewer, hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, i think i've never tried hunan-style fish head before! i usually don't like spicy food, but i think i'd like to try this one :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, most of the food looks very hot and spicy!! hmmm, not really suitable for me leh~~

    ReplyDelete
  21. ahh nice, dessert is the highlight for me, as always.

    Natasha
    http://picablocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You reminded me those food that I ate while visiting to China.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this type of fish is too hard to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sure I am going to check out this place the next round I am at puteri. Wonderful and delicious looking dishes and my saliva seems to be dripping now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. O I have no knowledge in Hu Nan cuisine, and now I know they are spicy ^_^ Since I like spicy food, I think I will love Hu Nan cuisine too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great looking place!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow, shall give that place a try. thanks for reviewing tht place. :D hv a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A "fiery red" post, I can feel that I began to perspire ~.~

    ReplyDelete
  29. yummy, can't choose a favorite so i will follow your recommendation, i love hunan dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. like this I order pork is enough :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice place!! have nice day dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good! shall look out for this restaurant next time i'm in Puchong.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I read the others comment, IT IS SPICY?? yeah, it is?? But for sure, I love their table.. So Much.. ^_^.v..

    ReplyDelete
  34. The place is elegant, it seems. And of course my PC screen is bombarded with foods!

    ReplyDelete
  35. WOW Seriously looks good. I should try this. I never ate Hunan food before


    Latest: La Gomera Spanish Buffet

    ReplyDelete
  36. Woww I never try this cuisine before, should go and try it in one day. =D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow, looks extremely delicious! Gonna try if I drop by there someday! Bandar Puteri is a good place for food it seems.

    ReplyDelete

Comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...