Klook.com

05 June, 2012

Canton Fare @ Solaris Mont Kiara & Plaza Damansara, KL

Have you heard of Canton Fare with its motto, "King of Roasts" strategically located near to SOHO KL? Tucked in line with many Western and Korean cuisines, it is a one-of-a-kind Chinese restaurant featuring a selection of the finest roast meats.

Upon arrival, I immediately feel the warmth in it. The interior is bright and well-decorated with Chinese vases, and furnished with dark-colored tables and chairs. A very beautiful interior for family dining.

#1 Complimentary Fried Fish Skin

While waiting for our order to arrive, we are greeted with a platter of crispy fish skin deep-fried into golden perfection. A very light snack to munch on while having a good time of chit-chatting. 

#2 Suan Ni Bai Rou (蒜泥白肉) @ RM16

Here comes the starter--- Sliced pork belly with minced garlic sauce. The cucumber adds contrast to the dish, while the sauce works well without any pungent smell here. It is very appetizing as the overall flavour is quite tangy. 

#3 Iced Black Fungus (冰鎮雲耳) @ RM16 

To sample the true taste of Hong Kong dish, here's the way to go. Dip the cold black fungus  into thick Hu Ma Jiang (胡麻酱) gravy, then I'm delighted with a mouth-watering, balanced concoction of tastes--- Sweet, salty, sour and spicy with a hint of wasabi! How special the homemade sauce is; Definitely a must-try!

#4 Crispy Aromatic Duck (脆皮香酥鸭) @ RM38  

 Then we are introduced with the main course of the evening, a new creation of this humble restaurant. The duck is deep-fried and shredded into thin slices, revealing the tenderness of inner flesh. 


Served with translucent skin, cucumber and sauces, you can wrap the meat and your choice of condiments with the skin and munch through the layers of texture which gives the best time of enjoyment!

#5 Two Roast Meats Mix (烧腊双拼) 
@ RM23 (Small) / RM32 (Medium) / RM55 (Large) 

The star of the evening finally appears. With a choice of Roast Pork, Emperor Char Siew and Roast Duck, you can tell how true their motto "King of Roasts" is.

We order a medium portion of  roast pork (Siew Yuk) and BBQ pork (Char Siew). The roast pork is crispy, more of succulent meat than melty fats. While the char siew is showered with BBQ sauce, I find the sauce quite mild and not fully immerse into the char siew. That being said, milder taste is a great way to go for elders who often dine there. 


 #6 Crispy egg plant, bitter gourd and prawn with salted 
egg yolk (咸旦炒三宝) @ RM25 (Small) / RM35 (Medium) 

If you're not a pork eater, Canton Fare also offers a good range of Hong Kong style chicken, seafood and vegetables. However, in this dish, the salted egg yolk batter is so rich in flavours that it veils the original freshness of the prawns.

#7 Pi Feng Tang Prawns (辟风塘虾球) @ RM38

A dish which prawn lovers must try! The batter is light and slightly garlicky. Although I can't normally take the pungent smell of garlic,  I'm more than satisfied with the sweet and spicy taste in the crispiness here!

#8 Taiwanese 3 Cup Chicken (招牌三杯鸡) @ RM22 

Despite of the relatively small portion, the huge chunks of chicken stewed in the hot pot is so succulent and flavourful. The basil leaves seem quite fresh but I hope it can go boneless next time to ease both kids and elders. 

#9 Braised Tofu with Vegetables and Roast Pork in Claypot (丝瓜豆腐火腩煲) @ RM25 

To be frank, I personally don't like having roast pork in this way because it is lacking of its original taste. To my surprise, it becomes even softer and more flavourful in the rich braised sauce! 

#10 Coupled Kai Lan (金枝玉叶) @ RM17 (Small) / RM24 (Medium) 

A medium portion like this is good for sharing too. While enjoying the crisp deep-fried green leaves with some salty anchovies, the braised stalks are as good and healthy in a different way!

#11 Si Yau Wong Fried Noodles (鼓油炒面) @ RM16 

Chinese always prefer rice or noodle to accompany the main dishes, so here we go with this stir-fried noodles with seafood. Soy sauce can be way too salty, but not in Canton Fare. The springy noodles retain the crunchiness despite of being ssoaked into the sauce for a good 20 minutes!

#12 Vegetarian Mee Sua (干炒斋面线) @ RM10 

hey serve meatless dish as well, for example this platter of stir-fried noodles with mushroom and vegetables. Anyhow I'm quite disappointed with its bland taste and dry presentation.

#13 Wat Tan Hor (海鲜滑蛋河) @ RM16 

Canton Fare is quite generous with the seafood in this simple braised kuey teow. I love it with raw eggs and the slippery gravy, but a thicker gravy would be better for my liking.

#14 Tang Yuan (姜汁汤圆 / 桂花汤圆) @ RM 8

Besides the traditional Ginger Wine Tang Yuan, they have the signature Gui Hua Tang Yuan with light flowery aroma. It's my first try on this osmanthus dessert and instantly I fall in love with its fragrance. Other than that, the oozing sesame paste fills my mouth when I pop in a piece of glutinous rice ball. 

#15 Red Bean Soup (红豆沙) @ RM5

I assume this is Chinese's all-time favourite. This dessert is expected to be a little sweeter although I have a sky high limit on sweetness in food.

#16 Red Bean Pan Cake (红豆窝饼) @ RM 10

The pan cake is quite delicate with a layer of red bean paste in between the crispy flour layers. Just a perfect end-note for the evening before we sip on some cooling herbal tea. 

#17 Left: Lily Bulbs, White Fungus and Longan (百合雪儿龙眼糖水) @ RM5
Right: Sugar Cane and Water Chestnut (竹蔗马蹄水) @ RM5

Verdict:
1. A good place to visit if you stay nearby and craving for some Hong Kong styled food.
2. Recommended: Two Roast Meats Mix, Pi Feng Tang Prawns, Si Yau Wong Fried Noodles
3. Price wise, I can only afford it during special occasions.

Canton Fare 
5, Jalan Solaris 4, 
Solaris Mont Kiara, 
50480 Kuala Lumpur. 
Contact: 603-6203 0223

NOTICE:
Canton Fare at Solaris Mont Kiara is closed from 19 August 2012 onwards.
Check out another outlet of Canton Fare here: 

71G, Jalan Medan Setia 1,
Plaza Damansara,
Bukit Damansara,
50490 Kuala Lumpur.
Contact: 603-2093 5279

Website: www.globalfoods.com.my
Email: info@cantonfare.com.my
Facebook: fb.com/CantonFare
Operating Hours: 11.30am - 3:00pm & 6.00pm - 10.30pm daily


37 comments:

  1. I guess that this place was quite hidden up.. dint notice it from roadside one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love their cha siew and siew yok,superb yummy!! I have been continuously eating for few days when I attended a court case at high ct;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks really yummy! Gonna visit the place soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beh tahan to see this in Lunch time yo, Pls give me Two Roast Meats Mix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo, i should bring my family here when they visit kl. i think my grandparents would enjoy the aromatic duck :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pricey eh? But I wouldn't mind trying the mixed eggplant and bitter gourd with salted egg and prawn some more. We don't have it done this way here - just bitter gourd and salted egg which is pretty common, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love pork.. and oh no!! my red bean!!!;DDD

    ReplyDelete
  8. feels like a very traditional yet more high class place to dine in... the food looks not bad... yumm yummm yummy!

    Recently in room8five: Movie Review: Prometheus 2012

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to try the Taiwanese 3 cup chicken. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanna try the crispy bitter gourd... and the fish skin.. they sound new to me... i hope they taste good as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Instead of giving peanuts..they serve 'Fried Fish Skin' is something different lo. Iced Black Fungus ...is a new thing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowww.. never thought that fish skin can be made a dish!
    My latest Entry :)
    Cuti-cuti M'sia: D'Ark Resort Janda Baik, Pahang

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have not been to "Solaris" Mont Kiara for awhile ! did not know about this one, but quite pricy and of course the location with all the expat. and orang kaya ! nice selection and choice anyway !

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, not bad at all woh those dishes, though very typical "wedding dinner" dishes but i still love them lor, haha!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice dishes... drooling.. drooling... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Back to see what Fish has to share
    Bringing us a trip to Canton Fare
    Love to try the Crispy Aromatic Duck
    At a special discount if in luck

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am alien to some of the food served in this eatery though the duck and fried noodles are among those I am quite familiar. I find that the dishes are unique and different, all the more very tempting to me. If I ever am in the same area, I must try out esp the roast pork, sinful but damn delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. dear friend, friendship is like perfume, it can not be over another spill, themselves without something get. wish you a good start to the week, many greetings from INDONESIA.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Complimentary Fried Fish Skin looks so different from the others I have eaten so far

    ReplyDelete
  20. With all these delicious items on the menu, it would sure guarantee a second visit from me! The roast pork and the duck look so tempting, I would have a hard time deciding on which. Thanks for sharing your dining adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything looks delicious at this restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. fans of duck here & would like to try that fried duck as I never have this b4 :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. fried fish skin? that's something new! and must be very nice! =D

    and the Crispy Aromatic Duck looks very crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oooh! love the chinese cuisine! :D and the fried fish skin looks so appetizing la! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG the food look so delicious!! I am such an Asian only addicted to asian food ;)


    ang-closet365.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  26. why u always make me hungry. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  27. the tang yuan look so tasty :3

    ReplyDelete
  28. like babi, babi, babi oh~~ haha. not really into roasted pork but these look pretty good =) LG Cinema 3D Smart TV review

    ReplyDelete
  29. There are quite a few of my favourite dishes. I hope it is near to the hotel where I will be staying.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this dishes! I think I couldn't find many of them here in Italy :( !

    ReplyDelete
  31. the pork and duck seems to be very crispy eh!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awesome photos! Enjoyed my discounts with Worthy Book just last week!

    ReplyDelete

Comment here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...